Job Code: 24/009
Job offer from January 30, 2024
The Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics in Garching offers within the department ITER Technology & Diagnostics (ITED) a position for a Mechanical Engineer (m/f/d) for the Development of the Neutral Beam Source. As a member of the Neutral Beam Injection (NBI) team at Max-Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) Garching, the job holder will participate in the development of the RF-driven negative ion source for heating the plasma of fusion experiments (i.e. ITER) up to 100 million Kelvin. He/she will technically support the NBI test facilities BATMAN Upgrade and ELISE at IPP by implementing test bed upgrades, source modifications and diagnostic improvements. The work will be performed in Garching together with the IPP-NBI team.
- To take care of the technically reliable operation of the test facilities ELISE and BATMAN Upgrade with all subsystems, such as vacuum pumps, cooling plant, etc.
- To implement upgrades of the test beds, such as source modifications, diagnostic improvements or other test bed equipment, in particular
- To design the required modifications including structural, thermal and fluid dynamics calculations
- To take care of the procurement of components either by industry or by in house manufacturing
- To supervise assembly and installation
- To support commissioning of the components for these devices
- To write technical reports and to present them in meetings and conferences
- To collaborate with other European partners working in the same field, in particular a close collaboration with NBTF
- Master degree (or equivalent) in mechanical engineering
- Experience in engineering projects
- Good knowledge of vacuum and cooling technology
- Very good knowledge of German and English is required
- Good capability of using CAD software, in particular CATIA V5
- Profound knowledge of applying FEM (ANSYS) for performing structural, thermal and fluid dynamics calculations
- Good knowledge of negative ion source physics and technology is beneficial
- Experience in operating experiments and programming is an advantage
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, high competence in teamwork
- an interesting job at one of the largest research institutes for fusion research
- flexible working hours
- training and further education opportunities
- company pension scheme
- family service
- further social benefits (e.g. capital-forming benefits, discounted public transport tickets (MVV IsarCardJob) and travel allowance)
The IPP seeks to increase the proportion of employed women in those areas where they are underrepresented and explicitly encourages women to apply for this position. The IPP is committed to employing more disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.
For information on data protection and the handling of your personal data please visit our website.