Job Code: gw23/025
Job offer from September 05, 2023
The Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics is looking for an engineer or physicists (m/f/d) with a focus on FEM structural analysis to carry out research work in the "Engineering Analysis" group of the Stellarator Dynamics and Transport Division (E5) at the large-scale experiment Wendelstein 7-X (W7-X) at the Greifswald branch.
- Calculation of mechanical, electromechanical and thermal operating limits of plant components and structures using complex FE models
- Further development and benchmarking of existing global FE models
- Development and enhancement of specialised auxiliary programs using MATLAB, Python, etc.
- Evaluation of calculation results using relevant standards
- Independent processing, evaluation and documentation of your tasks, as well as publication of highlights of your work in relevant journals.
Your profile/Our requirements
- Completed scientific or university studies in an engineering science (e.g. MSc in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering) or experimental physics
- Application-ready programming skills in Python, Matlab, C++, Java or Fortran and a confident handling of versioning systems (git/svn)
- Relevant experience in the use of "ANSYS Workbench" as well as knowledge of "ANSYS APDL”
- Very good English or German language skills for communication in an international team and for presenting complex scientific and technical issues.
Your preferable abilities
- Professional experience in mechanical structural analysis
- Experience in the design of fusion equipment and with the materials used there
- Ability to work under time pressure, on your own, but also in a team
- Ability to work within and to present to an international team of scientists
- Ability to carry out independent research with own innovations.
- An interesting research job with challenging tasks at the interface of science and engineering in one of the largest research institutes for fusion research
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Training and opportunities for further education
- Company pension scheme.
For information on data protection and the handling of your personal data please visit our website.