IPP Summer University for Plasma Physics and Fusion Research
- Beginning: Sep 11, 2017 08:40
- End: Sep 15, 2017 15:00
- Location: D-85748 Garching near Munich, Boltzmannstr. 2
The course covers the main aspects of plasma physics with emphasis on nuclear fusion:
- energy consumption and selected aspects of the environmental impact of energy production
- basics of plasma physics and nuclear fusion
- kinetic and magneto-hydrodynamic description of a plasma
- concepts and experimental results of tokamak and stellarator configurations
- plasma heating and diagnostics
- plasma-wall interaction and materials research
- safety and environmental aspects of fusion
- ITER and the next steps towards a reactor
- astrophysical plasmas
The lectures – held in English – are designed for physics and engineering students who passed their bachelor (undergraduate) courses or master students that have not yet decided their PhD topic.
One of the goals of the Summer University is to promote an exchange of views among the coming generation of scientists. Opportunities for discussions with lecturers and students are provided between the sessions, during the reception and the excursion.
The venue of the Summer University is the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) in Garching. Here the tokamak experiment ASDEX Upgrade is operating. During the course a tour of ASDEX Upgrade is offered.
Application and Fee
Applications must be submitted online and include a certificate of undergraduate studies (e.g. diploma or bachelor) and a short curriculum vitae (CV). Grades of university exams already passed must be reported either in the certificates or in the CV. If the certificates are not already in English or German, the applicant is required to provide a (non-official) translation.
The participation to the courses requires a very good knowledge (listening, speaking, and reading) of English.
The school is intended for a maximum of 65 participants, and the selection is done on the basis of merit inferred from the above mentioned documents.
The costs of accommodation, food and social events are covered by IPP.
Travel has to be organized and paid by the participants. Your travel costs will not be reimbursed.
The selected applicants have to pay the non-refundable participation fee of 50 Euros by bank transfer.
Deadline for application: 31 May 2017