IPP Summer University for Plasma Physics and Fusion Research
- Start: Sep 14, 2020 08:30
- End: Sep 18, 2020 13:00
- Location: D-17491 Greifswald, Wendelsteinstr. 1
The health and safety of IPP Summer University attendees is of primary importance for us and so we’ve made the very difficult decision to cancel this year’s Summer University in Greifswald.
We will announce the date and the location of next year’s Summer University in autumn 2020.
The course covers the main aspects of plasma physics with emphasis on nuclear fusion:
- basics of plasma physics and nuclear fusion
- kinetic and magneto-hydrodynamic description of a plasma
- concepts and experimental results of tokamak and stellarator configurations
- plasma heating and diagnostics
- plasma-wall interaction and materials research
- ITER and the next steps towards a reactor
- astrophysical plasmas
The lectures – held in English – are designed for physics and engineering students of European universities who have already completed their bachelor (undergraduate) courses and have not yet decided their PhD topic.
One of the goals of the Summer University is to promote an exchange of views among the coming generation of scientists. Opportunities for discussions with lecturers and students are provided between the sessions, during the reception and the excursion.
The venue of the Summer University is the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) in Greifswald. Here the stellarator experiment Wendelstein 7-X is operating. During the course a tour of Wendelstein 7-X is offered.