IPP Summer University for Plasma Physics and Fusion Research
- Start: Sep 11, 2023 08:30 AM (Local Time Germany)
- End: Sep 15, 2023 03:00 PM
- Location: D-85748 Garching near Munich, Boltzmannstr. 2
- Room: Lecture Hall, Building D2
- Contact: email@example.com
The course covers the main aspects of plasma physics with emphasis on nuclear fusion:
- basics of plasma physics and nuclear fusion
- kinetic and magneto-hydrodynamic description of a plasma
- concepts and experimental results of tokamak and stellarator configurations
- plasma heating and diagnostics
- plasma-wall interaction and materials research
- Computational methods in plasma physics
- safety and environmental aspects of fusion
- ITER and the next steps towards a reactor
- basics of inertial fusion
The lectures are designed for physics and engineering students of European Universities who passed their bachelor (undergraduate) courses and have not yet decided their PhD topic.
One of the goals of the Summer University is to promote an exchange of views among the coming generation of scientists. Opportunities for discussions with lecturers and students are provided between the sessions, during the reception and the excursion.
The venue of the Summer University is the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) in Garching. Here the tokamak experiment ASDEX Upgrade is operating. During the course a tour of ASDEX Upgrade and laboratories is offered.
Application and Fee
Applications must be submitted online and include a certificate of undergraduate studies (e.g. diploma or bachelor) and CV. Grades of university exams already passed must be reported either in the certificates or in the CV. If the certificates are not already in English or German, the applicant is required to provide a (non-official) translation.
The school is intended for a maximum of 50 participants, and the selection is done on the basis of the above mentioned documents..
The costs of accommodation and social events are covered by IPP.
Travel has to be organized and paid by the participants. Your travel costs will not be reimbursed.
The selected applicants have to pay the non-refundable participation fee of 50 Euros by bank transfer or Paypal.
Deadline for application: 31 May 2023