Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics honoured
IPP to be awarded Greifswald City’s Rubenow Medal
Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics at Greifswald is to be awarded the Rubenow Medal, as announced by the city of Greifswald. Representing IPP, Scientific Director Prof. Dr. Sybille Günter will be presented with this highest distinction conferred by the city of Greifswald on 14 May 2014 at the city’s reception. “With Max Planck Institute to the fore, Greifswald ranks with the important sites in the international network of nuclear fusion research”, states Lord Mayor Dr. Arthur König as justification for the decision: “Siting IPP’s branch at Greifswald not only created attractive jobs, but primarily also decisively reinforced Greifswald’s reputation as science, research and technology site.”
IPP’s research objective at Garching and Greifswald is to develop the physical principles for a fusion power plant, which, like the sun, derives energy from fusion of atomic nuclei. Already this year construction of the Wendelstein 7-X fusion device at Greifswald will be completed. With about 480 members of staff, IPP ranks with the city’s largest employers.
The medal is named after Heinrich Rubenow (ca. 1410 - 1462), Mayor of Greifswald and founder, benefactor and first Rector of the University of Greifswald.