HEPP-Workshop "Academic writing and publishing"
- Start: Jul 13, 2023 09:00 AM (Local Time Germany)
- End: Jul 14, 2023 04:00 PM
- Speaker: Dr. Bartlett Warren-Kretzschmar
- Dr.-Ing. Bartlett Warren-Kretzschmar, Hanover, was born in New York and studied Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning at Cornell University. She has been teaching courses in landscape architecture and environmental planning at both American and German universities for the past forty years. At the Leibniz University in Hanover, she has taught and researched for 30 years. Moreover, she was a guest professor in the international Master of Landscape Architecture programme at the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences in Bernburg and professor in the Bioregional Planning Programme at Utah State University, where she also offered courses in research skills and scientific writing, as well as communication and rhetoric.
- Location: virtual
- Room: Zoom
- Host: IPP
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
registration via https://event.ipp-hgw.mpg.de/event/415/
The methods and instruments of academic writing and publishing can be learnt. With a few select mechanisms for structuring and techniques for building arguments, it becomes possible to articulate even complex data clearly and comprehensibly. If, in addition, the handling of publishers, journals and referees is on a professional level, publications become far easier manageable.
In this workshop the process of academic writing and publishing is highlighted from the first idea through the structuring and formation of the text to its completion and publication. The participants engage with the content related, formal and organisational aspects of writing and train their text competency with exercises. The following topics are covered:
>> Abstract, article, review and monograph: Text types and reasons for writing in academia
>> From idea to text: Topic selection, structure, argumentation
>> Rummaging, digging, serving it hot: Research strategies
>> Writing as a process: Utilising creative bursts – avoiding blocks
>> Impact factors, rejection rates, publication processes: Criteria for journal selection
>> Delicate business: Communication with the publishers and the referees
>> Academic writing and publishing: My next steps